Sunday, September 30, 2012

Even Mom is Back to School!



In mid-September I had the opportunity to attend a seminar in Boston, sponsored by the New England Historic Genealogical Society.  The class presented topics that include writing in genealogical format, working with images, and adding narrative to a genealogy.  It was very informative and just the kick in the pants I needed to finally finish up my research and get my long awaited book published.  I wanted the product of four years of research to be more than a scrapbook.  This class taught how to properly cite information and how to address the information that just isn't available.  I'm hoping that once it is published one of our younger family members will pick-up where it leaves off, or that the book at least stirs an interest in one who before had none.
I had the chance to walk around Copley Square on Friday afternoon and was thrilled to come upon the Farmers Market.  It was a beautiful afternoon and it seemed that all of Boston was out enjoying the great weather.  Here are some shots I took at the market:


  
While I was in Boston, I had an opportunity to have dinner with our dear friends, Nick and Mary.  It was their anniversary weekend, and before leaving for a celebratory get-away, they drove from the Cape up to the city.  How lucky am I to have such wonderful friends?!  While in Boston I also connected with my Maddie's BFF Maddy F.  Maddy F. is attending Boston University.  I figured that being so far from home, she would appreciate an evening out with a familiar face (mine!) and a nice meal.  Maddy met me at my hotel and Nick & Mary picked us up from there.  We shared an awesome meal in the North End Italian section and then hit up a Boston landmark for dessert:

Nick, Mary and Maddy enjoying the Italian feast!

 
Mike's Pastry - a Boston legend!

 
Cannollis in every imaginable flavor

 
My Girlz: Mary and Maddy

While we were all sharing dinner in Boston, I received a text from my Maddie.  Turns out that while I was looking after 'one-of-our-own', someone was returning the favor in Philadelphia...  My grade school friend, Terry, was watching her niece Katy play in a women's rugby game at St. Joseph's University.  My Maddie and a few of her suite-mates were at the same game, (and having recognized her from the many photos I post here and on Facebook) Terry yelled out for her.  Imagine my surprise when I received the following photo:


Maddie and Terry at SJU

I hope Terry doesn't want to kill me when she sees that I posted the photo, but I just had to thank her for being such a great 'Mom' and reaching out to our girl.  I forwarded this photo to James with the comment, "How blessed are we to have such wonderful folks looking out for our daughter?!"  And, its true.  Maddie has so many family and friends waiting in the wings, looking out for her best interest... It makes having her so far away a bit easier to bear.

Back here at home, we were able to cross one more item of home improvement off our list.  Our outdated oak baluster staircase was replaced with a custom stained, solid maple and iron baluster work of art!  This was the item that I wanted done the most.  It certainly has a more refined appearance and really complements the wood floors on both levels of the house.  I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.






 I'm finishing this post with a word of thanks to all my friends who have sent birthday wishes; my parents who sang 'Happy Birthday' to me this morning; my sister Suzanne who sent a beautiful bouquet  of Fall flowers; Israel, who stopped by with beautiful flowers and a lovely card last night; My sister Claudine who gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a long time; My in-laws Kim, Mom & Dad, Rich and Ken (and families) who never forget to send a card; and my husband and daughters - who give me the gifts of love and patience everyday!!  I'm grateful to have each and every one of you in my life as I enter my 50's (!gulp!).  I'm hoping to age gracefully... but if I don't - I'll just put it out there - I have no problem with achieving that goal artificially! LOL!  Have a great week ahead, and thanks again to everyone for a wonderful Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment