Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Month for Maddie...The Graduate!



 The month of May has been all about Maddie. As she prepared to graduate from High School, the list of events and obligation seemed to multiply hourly. I'm sure many of you who have had a child graduate from HS and/or college know how this last month has been. Absolutely crazy!

 I guess the first 'graduation event' we attended was Senior awards night. I was amazed at the accomplishments of Maddie's classmates! There were at least 25 International Baccalaureate diplomas awarded. One Air Force Academy candidate; about 10 Ivy leaguers; and many academic superlatives. Maddie's class had two Valedictorians and two Salutatorians. The school also won the California State HS Football championship back in November - so a few of boys got full athletic scholarships to USC and other prestigious universities.

 Alas, no award for Maddie. She was, however, listed in the program for having received a scholarship to the university she will be attending. Every bit helps, so it was a big deal to us. Here's me and Maddie on our way to Senior Awards Night:

 

 A few days later we were thrilled to have my high school friend,(and post-college roommate)Karen, come for a visit. Her arrival was specifically scheduled so that she could see Maddie go to her Prom. How great is that?! The girls adore their 'Auntie Karen'! Karen lightened the load for me by taking Maddie shopping (which I REALLY don't like doing at all!) and also accompanying her to make-up and hair appointments on the day of the Prom. It really was wonderful to have my dear friend near for such a monumental occasion. This was Maddie's first and only Prom, so it was really exciting for all of us!


Maddie and 'Auntie Karen'

Maddie and Israel                        Photo by Susie Kim


The party bus to the prom                   Photo by Susie Kim



Israel and Maddie                           Photo by Susie Kim


During the week between Prom and graduation, there were a few commitments at school.  We also sent Auntie Karen home to Maryland and welcomed my Dad, my sister Claudine and James' parents - who were all in town to attend Maddie's graduation.

Once we were seated for the graduation, I felt a bit overwhelmed.  I clearly recalled how, within hours after she was born I thought, "Oh My God, how am I going to send her to college?!"  And there we were, at the end of 12 years of struggle and joy, watching her graduate!  I know that these days high school graduation is a 'given' - the most basic of requirements to enter 'the real world'.  But, for our family, it was truly a milestone.  Maddie attended 7 schools in that 12 year span - seemingly always the New Kid, never really able to root herself too long.  We are all looking forward to Maddie attending college - where she can make those 'life-long' friends and study the subjects that help her determine who she will be in the years to come.  Here are some photos from Friday's Graduation ceremony:


Maddie with her Gung Gung and Ma Ma (paternal grandparents)


Maddie and her PopPop (my Dad)



Maddie and Israel


...with Aunt Claudine


Sisters



...with her so very proud parents!

It was a great day for our entire family, and we missed those family members who were unable to be on hand to share the day.

We took advantage of the fact that we would have family in town when we scheduled another important event on Saturday, June 2nd. Josie performed in her first piano recital!! My next post will be all about our precious Josie and her awesome musical debut! Until then....

1 comment:

  1. A BIG congratulations to Maddie n her scholarship and her graduation!!!! Awesome. I cannot even imagine how busy it is when a child graduates from High school because it was CRAZY busy here with 5th and 8th grade graduations this year.

    Maddie looked gorgeous for her prom too. Very elegant and beautiful. I know you must be very proud of her:)

    ReplyDelete