Monday, March 14, 2011

Mold Remediation Begins!



It's sobering to see how much damage a [pin-hole size] leak in a water line can cause. Today, the mold remediation team began the removal of the drywall in the effected area of our family room. The wall was dry and solid to the touch. When the restoration company brought in a moisture meter, however, it told a different story. I was informed that mold forms after just a two or three day period once a pipe springs a leak. We estimated that this leak went undetected for about 2 1/2 months. I don't EVEN want to imagine what the inside of that wall looked like.





The set up began today at 9:15AM. I took Josie to school and then dropped the dogs off at the Vet's office to be boarded for the day. Since there was nothing I could do at home, I met up with my friend, Allison for a coffee talk. When I returned home a bit before noon this was the full set up:



This containment area will be in place for the whole week. There are two huge 'air scrubbers' in place. One is inside the containment area and one is in the kitchen. They are metal boxes that measure 3 feet long and stand about 2 1/2 feet high. They run 24/7 and will be in place until Thursday. The team will return tomorrow morning to do another anti-mold treatment. On Wednesday, an independent testing company comes in to certify that all the mold has been removed. Once that certification is filed with the Restoration company, the tent can come down. Then, the repair phase begins....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this. I recently had some similar troubles so I tried to do everything myself, but that turned out to be a disaster. Next time I'm going to recommend you get someone with mold remediation certification because they will do a good and professional job with it.

    ReplyDelete