Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hello February!



Things here are returning to normal - whatever THAT is! My parents departed yesterday for Las Vegas and from there they will continue home to Delaware. It was wonderful to have them here. They were supposed to stay until the 19th but Mom got homesick. I fully understand her desire to be in familiar surroundings carrying on with her normal social routine. My Dad would stay here forever - he doesn't miss the snow and cold temperatures on the East Coast. He is happy where ever he is as long as he has computer access and beer in the fridge.

My parents took a cruise to Mexico from January 22-29th. Their port call in Mazatlan was cancelled due to the overwhelming violence of the drug gangs in the area. It seems there are fewer and fewer safe areas in Mexico right now.

On Saturday, James and Josie picked up my parents from the ship. The Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) is about an hour away from our home. (I was scheduled to begin a photography course that same day and Maddie was beginning her 8 week SAT Prep course.) Since they were in the LA area, James arranged for his parents to have lunch with my parents. Needless to say, Josie was spoiled rotten in the presence of both sets of her Grandparents! They enjoyed Dim Sum in LA's Chinatown and then headed back to their respective homes.



While here, my Mom took great pleasure in meeting all of Josie's friends. She commented often on how lucky Josie was to have such nice little girls to play with in such a safe area. It's true. There is little to no crime in our area and we live on a cul-de-sac - so no cars screaming down the street. As I have said before, Josie is a 100% 'Grandmom's Girl'. My Mom has endless time for and patience with Josie. They color, play cards, dress-up, and cook together. Josie cried buckets when we dropped them off at the airport yesterday.





On Sunday, James and I took my parents up to Yorba Linda to the Nixon Presidential Library. I remember seeing Nixon resign on TV the summer before I turned 12 years old. Obviously, at that age, I did not understand the magnitude of the situation. I have to say that the curators of the Library had a challenge on their hands... How to frame all the good of a presidency that ended in disaster. It was well done and a beautiful tribute to a complex man.







And finally, I'd like to strangle thank my sister, Suzanne for overriding my parental authority and giving Maddie a gift certificate to have her ears double pierced and cartilage pierced.



I was especially thrilled with the accompanying card which promised a belly-button piercing for her 18th birthday. OMDB - (Over My Dead Body) is heard often in conversations between my daughter and I... She takes great comfort in having two 'cool' Aunts (don't EVEN get me started on Aunt Claudine!) helping her with her 'lame' Mother! HA! I am sooooo glad that Suzanne's son, Liam, will be coming with us on summer vacation this year ... paybacks are hell!!

2 comments:

  1. Brandon had his ear pierced at age SEVEN, when his father thought it was a good idea! And then, after boot camp at age 17, my brother took him for his first tattoo. The rules of a mother mean nothing when our children have aunts and uncles who are determined to usurp our parental controls!

    I don't know how Maddie stood that cartilage piercing. I had my ears pierced at age 12 and it was so traumatizing, I swore I'd never get another hole. And I haven't. Heck, I rarely wear earrings!

    As for the belly button... *shiver* My niece had hers pierced without her mother's knowledge and it got infected. It wasn't until they rushed her to the ER with a high fever that she spilled the beans. A round of antibiotics cured her, but her mom was not happy.

    Kids! Hahahaha!

    Love the photos of Josie with her Grandmas! She is such a loved little girl - you can see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the love of grandmothers...it's a joyous gift. Ow. Cartilage...piercing. Ow, ow OW!

    ReplyDelete