Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Year Begins



When last I wrote, we were in the middle of our big trip back East. Our Christmas(es) were excellent! On Christmas Eve, my sister Claudine and I spent a few chilly moments making Santa's presence known for Josie. It was quite funny - Claudine in her nightshirt, coat and boots chucking snowballs in an effort to make 'reindeer tracks' in the snow on her front lawn. You see, Josie had spread 'reindeer food' on the lawn before going to bed. We couldn't have her think they hadn't seen or tasted it! Anyone who drove past her house around midnight certainly got an entertaining show!


Here, Maddie carries Josie outside to see the reindeer tracks in the snow (7AM Christmas morning)


Josie opens presents on Christmas morning with Pop & Grandmom, Mom & Dad, Aunt Claudine and Maddie

On Christmas afternoon, Suzanne, Greg, Zack & Liam arrived in Maryland from Philadelphia. I hadn't seen my nephews in 5 months and boy, have they grown! We enjoyed our traditional Christmas meal of Rib Roast and Yorkshire Pudding. My Mom makes the BEST Yorkshire Pudding - she was taught by my Grandmom who actually was from Yorkshire!

On the 26th my brother Chalie and his family arrived for the final Christmas celebration:


Cousin Liam helps Josie open her gifts


Our Nephew, Jack, is the ultimate Ravens fan...


Kate shows her gift from Aunt Claudine


My two sisters and me - what a crew!


My parents six Grandchildren


Maddie (15) and Zack (17) - when they were younger everyone thought they were brother & sister!

On December 27, after dropping James off at the airport for his return to CA, the girls and I headed up to Philadelphia to extend our visit with my sister Suzanne and her family. We took the kids to see the Christmas light show downtown at what used to be Wanamaker's. (Now its a Macy's). I have been going to see this show since I was a kid and it was a thrill to see Josie watch it for the first time. The show used to have 'dancing fountains' but those were done away with a few years ago. The show is now narrated by Julie Andrews and features music from the Nutcracker Suite and popular Christmas shows like 'Frosty the Snowman' and 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer':





We returned to Virginia on the 30th of December, in time to celebrate the New Year at my friend Jamie's house. Kids and adults both had a lovely spread and great company. Here, the little ones sit for dinner at their own table:



Here's what the 'playroom' looked like once all the little princesses were off to bed:



We returned home on January 1, 2010 - on the late flight into LAX. Not 12 hours later, James grabbed up Josie and headed off to view the parade floats from the Tournament of Roses parade. Maddie and Hailey (who came to airport with James to pick us up!) slept in, watched Harry Potter and eventually got out of their pajamas around 5PM.


Josie in front of the McDonalds parade float




The 'snowboarding bulldogs' parade float (Josie's fav!)

Hope the New Year brings happiness and health to all of you!!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Michele! What a wonderful holiday season you had with friends and family. I love the photo of you and your sisters with the same gift. :)

    Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete