Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pack It Up and Move It Out!



I've spent the past two days doing laundry. I wanted to make sure that as soon as our shipment arrived in California the girls would have fresh linens on their beds, clean clothes to wear - thus making them as comfortable as possible, as soon as possible. It seemed like a good plan until I saw one of the packers literally dump a neatly folded drawer full of clothes into a packing box.

Okay, so the clothes will be clean, just not neatly folded.

I was up with James at 4AM this morning. I drove him to Dulles airport along with Casey and Carson (the dogs). The three of them boarded a Virgin America flight to LAX at 7AM. It's been the big joke among the family for the past week - James bought Carson a seat on board the aircraft. And, since each paying passenger gets two carry-ons, Casey was her brother's carry-on. Carson sat (in his sherpa bag) in the seat next to James while Casey rested comfortably in her bag under the seat. It was cheaper than PetAirways... which was sold out for the near future on the BWI-LAX route. Virgin America is a pet-friendly airline. As such they do not accept pets in cargo. They allow pets in the cabin if they are in approved carry-on pet carriers.

James reports that they both did well on the flight and they are now resting comfortably in their doggy suite hotel in Newport Beach. Sad to say, but the dogs are living much more comfortably than I am at the moment. The packers were kind enough to leave me a mattress to sleep on and one sheet. Here's my accommodations for the next two evenings:



The girls' rooms are all packed:


Maddie's bedroom


Josie's Room

The guest room won't be accommodating any friends in the foreseeable future:


The steps, bannister, and walls are covered with cushioned mats and cardboard to prevent damage:


The packers left at 6PM - leaving me just enough time to shower and change for my farewell gathering with my dear, dear friends. Words cannot describe how much I will miss these ladies. Who ever expects to make new, true friendships in their 40's? I am still in awe that I found a group of kindred spirits who are now my closest friends. I trust these ladies with my thoughts and feelings. They are non-judgmental, supportive and honestly - being with them for too long would give one cavities... so sweet and generous are their hearts.



The evening was a lovely send-off. First thing in the morning I am off to pick-up some coffee and bribes (oops, I meant doughnuts!) for the packing crew. Then I'm off to collect the last of our dry-cleaning and Josie's medical records. All this before 9AM. Time for me to get some sleep!!

2 comments:

  1. Just keep repeating "Change is good. Change is good. Change is good". Clicking your heels together might help too. Heck, it can't hurt, right?

    I know what you mean about leaving all of your friends at 'our' age. I did that when I moved up here to Silicon Valley. I left a huge part of my heart in Riverside county (very close to where you're going).

    There are some really awesome China adoption families in or near Orange County. Sometimes I wish we lived closer to Los Angeles.

    I hope the transtion is as smooth as possible and you don't have to kick and scream the entire way!

    Big hugs!

    Donna
    Our blog: Double Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle...I KNOW how hard this is....it seems like yesterday we were dong the same thing. I KNOW how hard it is to say goodbye to friends you love. But here we are a year later and SO happy. I know you will adjust and find new down to earth wonderful friends in CA too.

    Hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete